THE 3D EXPERIENCE
The 3D Experience, or 3DX, is a certification program that teaches students and teachers the design and development process of learning how to create your own 3D technologies. Each week students will learn how to use the 3DLSX platform to create a new 3D project. 3DX Level 1 classes provide weekly exercises using a variety of 3D CAD design software, 3D printers and other machines to create physical parts for electrical/mechanical components that will be programmed to interact with the 3D environment. Successful completion of the class and rubric awards a 3D Literacy® Level 1 Certificate.
Check out the highlights from 3DX Arduino Level 1 – Fall 2016 video below.
Students will utilize the Concept-to-Reality Process when approaching technical problems throughout the course. Trial and error will be encouraged and independent problem solving skills will be strengthened and tested. 3DX is geared on teaching students not only to learn about technology, but how to push it forward through experimentation.
Objectives and Outline
3DX Level I students will learn how to use the 3D Literacy® Learning Station to explore a variety of SMART technologies and tools including open source, hardware and software that will enable them to think in another dimension! This includes 3D CAD designing to create necessary components for the problem, G-Code programming with 3D printing software and operating 3D printers to create the parts, basic wiring and assembly along with introductory Arduino programming. By completing many small projects using a variety of open source technologies students will gain a foundation of knowledge and skills that fosters creativity and encourages innovative problem solving.
3DX is designed for students to learn how to create their own 3D printed projects in rapid succession. Week after week they will be asked to design, print, and program a new project thus practicing and implementing the “Concept-to-Reality” process.
3DX Fall 2017 classes start the week of Sept. 11th. 3DX Level 1 classes will be once a week, for twelve weeks. There are 5 different classes to choose from depending on the student’s grade level. All 3DX Level 1 classes will follow this outline:
- Week 1 – Intro to 3D Literacy®/Assemble 3DLSX/3D Printing
- Week 2 – CAD Design for 3D printing/Flash light project
- Week 3 – Intro to Arduino/Soldering/LED project
- Week 4 – Inputs and Outputs, Traffic light project
- Week 5 – Basic Electrical Skills/LED-Button-Switch
- Week 6 – Intro to Motors/Servo-Potentiometer project
- Week 7 – Intro to NeoPixels (RGB LEDs)/NeoPixel project
- Week 8 – Setting up an LCD Screen/”Hello World” project
- Week 9 – PIR sensors and buzzers/Motion Alarm project
- Week 10 – Servos, Gears, and Motion/Gear Box project
- Week 11 – Students Final Projects
- Week 12 – Student Final Project Presentations
3DX Fall 2017 Available Classes
Select the correct 3DX Level 1 class by determining the students grade level. There are 3 different sections for high school students, choose the one that best fits your schedule. Other 3DX classes are only being offered at the scheduled time.
- Monday, 7-9pm
- Tuesday, 7-9pm
- Wednesday, 4:30pm-6:30pm
- Tuesday, 4:30pm-6:30pm
Teachers and Adults:
- Wednesday, 7-9pm
Seats in 3DX classes are being sold through our online store. Make sure that you select the correct 3DX class before checking out including grade level, day, and times of class.
Full payment is due prior to the beginning of classes to ensure that all necessary 3DX materials can be ordered and arrive in time for the class.
There is a limit of 20 seats per 3DX class. We do require a minimum of 5 seats in order to have a class. In the case of students signing up for a 3DX class that does not meet the minimum seat requirement, they will have the option of a full refund or switching to a different 3DX class during that term.
3DX Level I includes the following:
- 3D Literacy® Level I Certification program
- 12 3DX class sessions, one per week
- 3D Literacy® Certification upon completion
- (1) 3D Literacy® Learning Station Deluxe
- Arduino + components
- (1) 1kg spool of 1.75mm PLA plastic for 3D printing
- 4-month Maker Space Membership
- Instructor/admin fees
Students will have to provide their own computer or compatible tablet.